MorphWiz Wins ‘Best Music Creation App’ at Billboard’s Music App Summit
October 7, 2010 – San Francisco, CA – MorphWiz was chosen as “Best Music Creation App” in the first-ever Billboard Music App Awards, produced by Billboard Magazine, on October 5, 2010. MorphWiz is the first virtual musical instrument for iPhone, iPad and iTouch created by Wizdom Music, founded by Dream Theater keyboardist Jordan Rudess and co-created by Rudess and software developer Kevin Chartier. MorphWiz shot to the #1 spot on iTunes in the USA and other nations within a few days of its June 18, 2010 release.
MorphWiz was inspired by Jordan’s experience with the Haken Conitnuum Fingerboard, a radically innovative and revolutionary MIDI instrument that he helped to pioneer on stage and in the studio with Dream Theater. Like the Continuum, MorphWiz is a vertical grid based musical instrument that allows a whole new level of expressive control with real-time, highly organic, animated visual feedback. Beginners and professionals alike rave about the in-depth feature set, presets and almost infinite creative control from the most impressive and expressive virtual musical instrument that perfectly melds the world of intuitive musical creativity with real-time visual control and response.
Jordan Rudess, whose long-term use of the iPhone as a live performance instrument was featured in a September 2009 San Francisco Chronicle cover story (http://x.co/jrsfgate), states, “I believe the iPhone and iPad multitouch platform opens up a whole new world of electronic musical instruments. We’re proud, honored, and humbled that MorphWiz, the first major offering from Wizdom Music, has received Billboard’s prestigious industry recognition. I want to thank everybody for making this happen, as I believe in this technology and that devices like the iPhone and the iPad play an important role in the future of music-making.”
Garnering glowing accolades from leading music industry professionals and performers alike, Jim Dalrymple, founder of LoopInsight.com, states, “Not only is Jordan a creative force in the music industry, he is also one of the leading influencers in adopting technology and meshing the two worlds together.” David Mash, Vice President for Technology and Education Outreach, Berklee College of Music, called MorphWiz “a 5 Star app,” that is “deep, powerful, sounds great, stable and well thought-out,” and “a very satisfying musical experience!”
MorphWiz features over 80 custom Jordan Rudess-created patches and a wealth of other features, including:
• Assign audio waveforms as visual shapes to the grid and morph between them with your fingers on the grid or the accelerometer.
• Advanced pitch control allows the player to round the pitch of the initial attack of any note. It also recognizes when your finger stops after a slide, and rounds your notes to the nearest diatonic pitch.
• Rounding pitch on initial attack.
• Rounding pitch after a slide.
• Independent pitch and synthesis control for up to 10 simultaneous notes.
• Finger Vibrato Effect (FVE) where you can achieve vibrato even when LOCK PITCH is selected and the pitch is snapping to the grid!
• Velocity Controlled Animation (VCA) in sync with your musical performance.
• Complete control over what parameters you see on the screen.
• Adjustable location for performance controls.
• Editing never interrupts the audio and visual output.
• “Trippy” full-color, animated particles, fire, and ring effects visually radiate under your fingertips and contain real time pitch information.
• Choose from a wide variety of scales and chords to assign to the playing surface with easy customization.
• Choose to display names of notes or intervals to help guide you.
• Consistent color display for pitch lines which indicate each step of the scale.
• Playing surface is adjustable between 1 and 6 octaves.
• Performance controls include octave shift, pitch lock on/off, record to delay buffer on/off, infinity delay setting on/off, and multi-function “Magic Slider.”
• Unison detuning effect with separate pan control for that classic analog thickness.
• Refined and intuitive Frequency Modulation (FM) synthesis can be assigned to the vertical grid or accelerometer.
• Wave Sync Synthesis (WSS) can also be assigned to the vertical grid or accelerometer.
• Volume separately assignable to vertical grid.
• Adjustable note attack and release time.
• Infinite Track Loop (ITL) recorder features user-selectable measures and beats.
• Record Undo and Redo.
• Reverse play of recorded loops.
• Effects include digital delay, stereo chorus, and tremolo.
FOR IMMEDIATE PRESS RELEASE
For more info, please contact:
Christopher Buttner, President
Qualified members of the press wishing to review MorphWiz may request a complimentary download code and/or interviews with Jordan Rudess and/or Kevin Chartier through Christopher Buttner, President, PRThatRocks.com, at firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 415-233-7350.